Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Breaking news: It's a HUMDINGER!!

The board meeting began with a very, very crowded auditorium. I was surprised to see a few people holding Bibles in their hands, until I realized the subject that was to be debated. Tonight, we are looking at domestic benefit partnerships, among other things. Ah ha!

Before we could get there, we had endure the board approving the administration's recommendation to accept two year teachers from the Teach For America program, which I am not entirely supportive of. My main reason is this (and I speak from experience): teaching is NOT easy. Teaching is not something anyone can do. I'm offended that we will accept people out of college and put them into classrooms with little to no training. But even more important than that, I know that as a person who loves, loves, loves her job...it took me years to get "good." I feel pretty confident saying this for two reasons--one is that I did get good, and the other is that my dad, one of the best teachers I ever had in high school, confessed that it took him years to feel comfortable, also. My worry isn't what Teach for America people will be able or unable to do in their two year commitment, but that just as they approach proficiency (I'm being generous...it took me more than two years to get there, and my dad, too), they are done. What a shame! I fully acknowledge that we need teachers in hard-to-fill positions...I fear losing them.

Board member Jennifer Morales started the evening with some remarks of her own. She explained that this is not an expansion of benefits, this is not an example of special rights. This is simply an example of equal rights, and an example of granting equality to a group of people who are still rather (sadly) hated in our society.

People spoke for what seemed like hours on this issue. I heard homosexuality take the blame for just about everything, from the Twin Towers to high taxes to the fact that our students (again, I point out that Milwaukee has more needs than any other district in the state) don't achieve as well as other parts of the state. I heard a lot of talk about how MPS is falling apart, and apparently there is a connection between unwanted pregnancy, the US stock market, police in the school and this domestic partnership question. I've got to confess...I don't see the connection...but okay. We were told to think about the children of MPS, too, and what we are teaching them when we give domestic benefits.

Fortunately, I heard many eloquent comments that support this measure. There were several that are well worth mentioning, but I especially like one from earlier in the evening in which the speaker said that in his capacity as a business owner, he finds himself having to teach his workers. He stated that he can teach a lot of skills...business writing, technology skills, and the like. But he cannot teach people to get along with other people; he cannot teach people to be tolerant of other people. WOW--that's awesome. One thing I have always appreciated and loved about MPS is the diversity, and this man's comments helped me to appreciate what we do in terms of that very diversity.

Again, there were many, many comments on both sides of the issue. One person noted that he was a bit confused that people form the suburbs were here. Many others spoke of the children who come from homes with two moms or two dads. A son stood up to defend his mother, his former high school, and his Ivy League education (as a result of his degree from Riverside High School).

The board listened to public comments until after 10 pm, when the board members who were here began to explain their positions. Director Tim Petersons spoke first and said that he had been swayed by the people who had spoken against the proposal--he was swayed to vote yes.

The role was taken, and went as follows: Hardin, no, Blewett, yes, Bonds, no, Morales, yes, and Petersons, yes. It passed, three to two.

What a night.

No comments: